As you are all probably aware, I really like Harry Potter. I’ve even blogged about it a few times. Well I found out a little while ago that a Brisbane group called Man vs Bear were hosting a Harry Potter trivia night at a local bar, so obviously I immediately signed up a team (hilariously named “Quidditch while we’re ahead”) and started recruiting friends to join me in my quest to prove how big a HP nerd I really am. In the weeks leading up to the night, I tried to cram as much study in as possible but between working my day job and starting my nail business I only manged to read the Philosophers Stone and a few chapters of Chamber of Secrets. Oh no! I did a whole bunch of online quizzes whenever I could, but I was so nervous! People kept joking about how there would be a group there who had no life and so knew every intricate detail of the books and would defeat us easily. NO! I had a reputation to uphold, I was known for my HP-love thanks to the (now defunct) Harry Potter fanclub and all of my appearances on the radio, TV and in local newspapers whenever the new film/book was coming out.
On the afternoon of the quiz, I met with my team to discuss tactics and have a few quick drinks to ease our nerves. We were all HP fans with excellent knowledge who were keen to win! I actually managed to rope in my friend Jen who did the quiz the night before (it’d been so popular, they had to add an extra night, which happened to be the night before we were going) who found out that the questions would be different but it was great to have some insider knowledge on how it all worked.
I won’t go through every blow by blow details of the evening as that’s ridiculous/boring but here are some of the highlights:
- We got stuck up in the back corner as people apparently lined up super early, but it was a cosy little booth where no one could cheat off us and wasn’t crammed with people like up the front
- The served Butterbeer! It was actually a cocktail but a delicious one! They also had shots caused Parselmouth which weren’t as delicious as they were full of absinthe but I tried one anyway ;)
- Our team worked together brilliantly, we all knew things that left the rest of the team stumped and there were no arguments about any answers, even when we got some wrong
- At the half way mark when the scores were double checked by the hosts, our team was ahead by a whole FOUR POINTS!
- The last half of the quiz was tough and I started to worry again some other super team would beat us… BUT WE WON!
Look I’m not going to lie, I was one of those awful, obnoxious winners who screams, dances and carries on like a jerk. But I was so damn excited. I was also stoked when I realised the top prize was a Black Milk voucher, it was as though it was meant to be! Needless to say we celebrated for a while and I maybe made myself very, very sick (oops) but let’s face it, it was soooo worth it!